Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Buckingham United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

Buckingham United Football Club
Stewkley Reserves
Sat 28 Jan 14:00 - League Full time Attendance 67

Buckingham Firsts Take on Stewkley Reserves


Buckingham complete 6-0 hammering

Buckingham United Firsts took on Stewkley Reserves in their first match back after the Christmas break. Playing a team positioned lower in the league was a great chance for United to get their first win of 2017 and kick on into the second half of the season. The match started slowly on a cold and windy day: neither team created early chances and the keepers were untested. Buckingham began to get hold of the ball, used the wings to create space and get the ball forward. Mitchell Young had the first chance and fired a shot that went just wide. Buckingham built up the pressure and created chances but were unable to capitalise on their efforts. Stewkley Reserves however, showed little attacking intent and if Buckingham wanted the win they would have to break down a solid looking defence. The first half ended at 0-0, not the scoreline Buckingham wanted, but their domination of the first half was a good sign for the second. Manager Dean O'Connor's stern words at half time fired up the team for the second half.

A response was needed and it began as soon as the whistle blew. Matt Carr gathered the ball on the left wing and travelling with it, saw the run from Mitchell Young, chipped it over three players perfectly into his path, for a finish to the bottom right corner. A deserved goal at a great time to score empowered Buckingham to push on for a second and almost immediately Mitchell Young and Matt Carr linked up again. Mitchell Young collected the ball, turned and, dinked a through-ball to Matt Carr, who was in on goal and slotted it home. Two goals in two minutes put Buckingham in full control and another goal quickly followed. Making endless runs Matt Carr was found again by Bobby Cooney. Splitting the defence again the through ball was perfect for Carr to run onto and again, with the same finish, gave the keeper no chance. Buckingham Firsts were on a roll and the Stewkley team looked beaten. Goalkeeper Harry White cleared the Stewkley defence and again Matt Carr was on the end of it to complete his hat trick in 11 minutes.

Buckingham were awarded a penalty and Mitchell Young stepping up found the corner to put Buckingham United 5-0 up. In the last few minutes Mitchell Young completed his hat trick by latching onto the loose ball, after a poor clearance, and fired it in from close range.

The match ended 6-0 and, after an understandably rusty first half, the Buckingham team showed their quality and produced a top class second half.

A valuable three points for Buckingham United who, with The University of Buckingham as their next opponents, have a chance of achieving back to back wins that would see them moving in the right direction in the table.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors