Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Buckingham United Football Club app


First Team - Match centre

University of Buckingham
Buckingham United Football Club
Sat 11 Mar 15:00 - League Full time Attendance 24

Local Derby See Buckingham United Face University of Buckingham


Dissapointing 2-2 draw for the firsts

Buckingham Firsts faced the University of Buckingham this week. The University team are currently bottom of the table and, yet to pick up any points this season, provided the Firsts with a great opportunity to secure three points and maintain their position in third place.

Buckingham started the better team and, looking full of energy, moved the ball around with ease to find pockets of space in advanced areas. After a well worked move, Mitchell Young, had the first chance with a perfect through ball that found him in on goal and pulling a save from the keeper. Danny Charlesworth started several moves, beating his player and pushing Buckingham further up the field. Matt Carr had a effort go over the bar, followed by a corner swung in and Mitchell volleying wide. After a bright first 20 minutes Buckingham University started to grow into the match and their midfield began to dominate. The University had several chances outside of the box and the pressure eventually paid off. A through ball found the striker and after a great save, from Harry White, the rebound fell perfectly to the striker who tapped in.

There was little response from Buckingham United as the University team continued to apply pressure on the defence resulting in another goal. University moved the ball through the middle, their striker received it, turned towards goal and scooped the ball over the keeper to find the net. A lucky goal for the University that presented United with an uphill battle to get back into the match. The half time whistle went with the score at 2-0 and a poor half for the Buckingham United team.

Buckingham's performance was well below normal standards and this was reflected in the half time team talk and the team went out, yet again, to try and pull a match back in the second half. The second half started slowly, neither team created chances and cancelled each other out for the first 15 minutes. Substitutions Andy Selleck, Tom O'Connell and Ashley Urquhart entered the game and immediately made an impact. Andy Selleck came on with instructions to support the left winger and provide another option for the team. Chances were created and two dangerous balls were whipped into the box but failed to find the striker. Ashley Urquhart, another substitute, growing into the match and, working to break up the University play, brought his team mates into the game.

A free kick was awarded when Danny Charlesworth was brought down. The ball found the first University defender but, after a poor clearance, Matt Carr latched onto it and volleyed in a screamer from 25 yards. A cracking goal and the much needed boost to get the Firsts back into the match with 20 minutes to get another goal. The pressure continued with corners and free kicks swung in but without any serious attempt on target, the University team had their chances, United were pushing players forward and got caught on the counter attack but sloppy finishing prevented the University from scoring.

A well worked move down the left wing resulted in a cross that hit a University defender. He sat on the ball made no attempt to stand up and the referee gave a penalty. Under pressure Mitchell Young converted the penalty and levelled the match at 2-2. With five minutes remaining Buckingham United pushed forward for the third goal but as in much of the match they couldn't create a clear chance for the winner.

The match finished in a 2-2 draw, a very disappointing result for the Buckingham United team who miss out on 2 points and overall were lucky to get a point. Buckingham United next play Tattenhoe, a team chasing them for third place.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors